How to Manage Instagram Using Sendible
Since Instagram has not released an API that allows third party applications such as Sendible to schedule updates (and don’t plan to), it’s proving very difficult for businesses to take advantage of this extremely engaging social network. Since posting to Instagram manually is a time-consuming process, we have developed a workaround that lets you plan your posts, monitor streams and check analytics.
In case you aren’t aware of this social media network, we have written an article on how to use Instagram for business. If you are more savvy and are looking to improve your social strategy, we also have a list of seven handy tips for Instagram.
How to schedule posts to Instagram with Sendible
The Sendible Instagram Posting service allows you to schedule your Instagram updates in advance, add Instagram images to a queue to be posted at an optimal time, or send updates to Instagram at the same time that you update Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and your other social network accounts – saving you the hassle of needing to update Instagram separately.
As mentioned above, Instagram doesn’t allow third party apps to publish on your behalf (and it doesn’t seem likely that they ever will). Instead of your scheduled posts being published directly, you will receive an email from Sendible with the picture attached at the scheduled time. This makes it easy for you or members of your team to update your Instagram account directly from your phone at the right time.
How to set up your Instagram profile on Sendible?
You can get this setup on your Sendible account in under 2 minutes. Here’s how…
- Sign into your Sendible account and head over to Services+.
- Here you’ll see the list of our most popular services. Find Instagram and click Add.
- In the dialog, you’ll see the Instagram Post option. Click Setup.
- You’ll be prompted to connect to your Instagram account. Follow the steps.
- After connecting, you’ll be able to specify one or more email recipients that will receive email notifications when your Instagram picture needs to be uploaded.
- Click Save Settings and the service will now appear within your Sendible account.
- To post to Instagram, click Compose and select your Instagram Post service from the list. Choose a date and time to have this post go out.
- At the scheduled time an email will be sent to the recipient(s) you specified in Step 5, notifying them that the attached image, text and hashtags need to be published on Instagram.
After adding the Instagram service, you’ll be able to locate your Instagram stream next to other streams in the Engage section of the dashboard. You can use the stream to manage comments and like photos.
Setting up the Instagram Search service lets you search for posts and monitor a particular hashtag within Instagram. If you already have a brand or keyword monitoring service set up, Sendible will search through Instagram news feeds for relevant matches.
Along with streams, Sendible allows you to create custom reports using data retrieved from your Instragram account. Some of the reports include Followers over time, Following over time, Photos and Comments.
Efficient workflows for larger teams
The way we see businesses using this feature is through the following workflow.
- The marketing manager assigns the role of managing the Instagram account to an intern or marketing assistant.
- The marketing manager will then configure her Sendible account to have an email sent to the appropriate team member when an Instagram post is due to be published.
- The intern or marketing assistant receives an email on his/her phone announcing that the attached picture must be uploaded to the specific Instagram account. It’s her responsibility to publish it.
We would love to hear what you think of this feature. At Sendible, we’re constantly striving to make our users’ lives easier so, if you have any ideas for enhancements/improvements to the Sendible dashboard, please leave them in the comments. We read each and every one of them!
Social media management software for agencies and businesses
If you don’t have a tool to help you schedule social media posts to multiple social media networks just yet, you can give Sendible a try, completely free for 30 days.